Friday, March 23, 2007

Going Flocking...

Well Winter is gone and Spring, although it has just begun...well it is kicking into full gear. Soon I will be out Flocking and if you are interested in having someone Flocked, it is for a great cause. http://www.planetcancer.org/ Anyway, this year will be my second year participating and I look forward to it. There will also be a kick off fundraiser and you can attend that as well, if interested.

We are but a couple weeks away from pre-sale wristbands. THE wristband to have for music lovers. The fine peeps from Austin City Limits will soon taunt us with the possibility of being fortunate enough to purchase incredibly cheap wristbands for the ACL fest. There are a very, very limited amount of tickets and the amount of people who try to purchase said tickets is enough to overwhelm the servers used to make your attempted purchase. The key is to be around your computer and to have a fast connection. Last year I saw that I received an email but didn't check it in time due to work. I remember before they would give you hints when the sale would be but I don't remember any for last year. The special tickets/wristbands should go on sale during the first week of April. You need to sign up via the http://www.aclfest.com/ site if you want to receive emails regarding the sale and all things fest related. If you don't plan on going you can help me out on my cause and sign up and purchase a pair for me! Seriously. Don't make me cry.

Being single can be great and it can be sucky. Deep, I know. As of late it is the little things, the reminders. Like having bought an Entertainment book and realizing the two for one deal really isn't that good of a deal when you aren't part of a two. I guess you could take the other meal home so later when you eat the additional meal, you can relive your dinner for one all over again. Um, wooo?

So here is my quasi lame reason why singleness is currently sucking... There are shows I want to go to and I would like to go with someone but I am not up for organizing a group. Going to shows can be a lot of fun and it is even more fun when you can go with someone who you know will have fun/appreciate the show. Frankly, they can be very fun date nights. Alas, I am currently single and figure I might venture out and go on my own. It may be good for me and I don't want to miss out on music just because I may have to go alone. So I will be pushing my boundaries...my next step is to pick a show or two.

There are some shows that are coming to town that I am compelled to go to just because they are either awesome live or I haven't seen them live and they don't come here often, if ever.
Then there are some that would just be fun. I am looking at Citizen Cope and Kings of Leon, both will be at Stubb's and should be good. Then I read tonight that Angelique Kidjo will be playing at Antone's in late April. http://www.kidjo.com/ She is a talented singer from Africa and I think I should take the opportunity to see her as I don't remember her ever coming through Austin since I lived here. I have one of her albums and she does an amazing version of Jimmy Hendrick's Voodoo Child.

Another show that I am really interested in is on May 1st and I believe it will be at La Zona Rosa. Toots and the Maytals. I think the whole place will be dancing. It will be positive, rhythmic and fun. http://www.tootsandthemaytals.com/toots/ I saw them perform at an ACL fest and there was a field of dancing happy people. :) I recently went and saw Michael Franti and Spearhead at Stubb's and it was awesome. Good music, a connection between the performer and the crowd, positivity and all kinds of dancing. I think Toot's show will be similar.

If you are looking for some free music for the whole family, visit http://www.centralmarket.com/cm/cmEvents.jsp and click on the locations you are interested in. You can buy dinner in side and hang and listen to great, free, live music.

Also, April 7th is the 29th annual Spamarama. It is only $5 and should be great for people watching and indigestion. I have yet to make it to one but really want to. This may be the year! Although, it is Easter weekend so that may not work out. Booo.

Ararat is closing tomorrow. I have only been there once, earlier this year, but even so it saddens me that a local, bohemian place with great food and creative ambiance is closing. So tomorrow I hope to go and join in on the closing festivities that will include music, fire performances, dancing, food, and an auction.

~Elaine

No comments: