Friday, February 16, 2007

Running with Valentine's Scissors

Valentine's was actually rather painless and I am thankful for that little miracle. Recently, I was talking to a friend of mine about Valentine's Day when we were growing up and she said how she had loved it. I said I liked it until I had to sit down at the kitchen table and sign what felt like a million cards. That was in elementary school.

Cobi, my friend, remembered more of the receiving then the giving and conceded that the signing was a bit cumbersome. I then asked her if she had the roses like we did in high school. How you secretly hoped you would get one of those $1.50 single roses but new that the person delivering them was going to give to the girl who already had a pile from the ones she received all day, each period. You would grumble to yourself that you just knew she was sending them to herself. Then you would get the idea to send them to your friends and they would send them to you. I relayed this to my friend and she started laughing really hard. When she could finally speak it was to say that they did the same thing at her high school. I wonder if that still do that today?
So Cobi sent me an email for Valentine's that was sooo funny about how she was gonna send me a rose in Home room. Too funny.

I watched Running with Scissors the other night and I think the acting was amazing. If reading about the movie will ruin it for you then you shouldn't read on. The actual story is very interesting and a reminder of many things. To be cautious of who you surround yourself with, that things in moderation is a better idea then consuming drugs/alcohol like a kid after Halloween. It was also a great reminder that there are a lot of hurting people out there and that there are also a lot of selfish assholes, too. Sometimes, they are one in the same. It was also interesting to see things that are clearly wrong, be acted so well that you have empathy for the characters. At least, that is how I felt.

There are quite a few serious topics throughout the movie ...
Psychotherapy, homosexuality, alcoholism, over medication, divorce, unrealized dreams, abandonment, a 14 year old in a relationship with a 35 year old schitzophrenic. Mental illness, being ignored, deceit, extortion, fraud, and failure to be a good, if even present, parent. There is also hope, strength, perseverance and the ability to overcome.

Sometimes watching the mother was odd because it reminded of me of when my mother was sick but Annette Benning was awesome. If you don't mind being a bit uncomfortable, I really recommend the movie.

I am thankful it is the weekend. I hope it magically seems like a week and that it is a good one.

No comments: